Labels

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

American Healthcare System

 A Visit to the Clinic


So, I guess this is my very first post, and it’s about something that really hit me in the wallet. I went to a clinic for a minor procedure, nothing major. But I was stunned when they told me how much I had to pay upfront. Yes, I have health insurance, but with the kind of coverage I have, it felt like I didn’t. I ended up footing nearly the entire bill myself. It hurt. A lot.

The whole thing took about half an hour of waiting, and another half hour for the procedure. Quick, simple, and $930 out of my pocket.

Here’s the kicker: my health insurance company takes roughly $700 a month from my paycheck. And when I actually need care? Disappointment. Before they cover anything, I have to meet a deductible of around $1,400 per year. Only after that does the insurance “kick in”, and even then, they only cover a portion. I still have to pay my share.

Let’s do the math. My employer pays the other half of the premium, so that’s $1,400 a month going to the insurance company. Multiply that by 12 months, and we’re talking $16,800 a year. And yet, unless I meet my deductible, they don’t pay a dime.

This is America, folks. The healthcare system is deeply broken. You can pay thousands in premiums and still be left holding the bill when you need help.

And before I forget, I'm still expecting more charges to roll in from lab work and other fees. So that $930? Just the beginning.

This is life in America. And it’s not okay.


1 comment:

The Taste That Followed Us

When we first came to America, the biggest shock wasn’t the weather or the language, it was the food. We arrived at night, went straight to ...