When I arrived in Phoenix in 1996, I was filled with hope and excitement for the future. Fortunately, the culture shock was minimal, and I adjusted quickly to life in America. I landed a great job with a large corporation, and everything seemed to be falling into place. It felt like the kind of career that would carry me all the way to retirement.
But life has a way of reminding us that nothing is guaranteed.
In 2000, the company unexpectedly shut down. For me, it was one of the darkest and most uncertain seasons of my life as an immigrant. In an instant, the dreams and plans I had carefully built seemed to come to a halt. I found myself wondering what would happen next and whether my family's future in America would continue.
The months that followed were filled with challenges. I spent countless days searching for work and reaching out to companies willing to sponsor me. At the same time, I applied for a work permit, but while waiting for approval, I was unable to work. Meanwhile, the mortgage, car payments, insurance, groceries, and everyday bills continued to draw from our savings.
I remember gradually selling or giving away many of our belongings, keeping only what we truly needed. We wanted to be prepared in case we had to return home on short notice. Eventually, our savings dwindled to the point where we had only enough to survive for about three more months. I often thought, "This is it. Maybe my American dream is over."
Yet even during those difficult days, I never considered staying in the United States illegally. I deeply respected the American immigration system, and more importantly, I wanted peace of mind for my family. If the time came, I was fully prepared to take my wife and children back home and start over.
Looking back now, I can clearly see God's hand at work during that season. His plans did not always match my timeline, but His timing was perfect. Through a series of events that could only be described as providential, God opened doors for me and several of my colleagues. We received sponsorship, and despite all the obstacles, He made a way for us to stay.
The road was not straight or easy, but we chose to trust Him every step of the way. What felt like the end of our journey became the beginning of a new chapter. Those struggles taught me perseverance, humility, faith, and gratitude. They reminded me that even when the future seems uncertain, God is still working behind the scenes.
Today, I look back on those years with a grateful heart. What once felt like a setback became part of a greater story. I am thankful that God allowed us to continue pursuing the American dream, and I am even more thankful for the lessons learned along the way. Sometimes our biggest challenges become the very experiences that strengthen our faith, shape our character, and prepare us for the blessings ahead.

No comments:
Post a Comment