Still, I shake my head at how expensive it is just to stay the night, room rates, resort fees, parking charges, taxes, it all adds up fast. I’d rather spend that money on something that brings me closer to home. That’s why every visit includes a stop at the Filipino grocery store. Phoenix doesn’t have one yet (though one is finally opening early next year), so we stock up on the things I miss most: hopia, rice cakes, and other treats that carry the taste of memory. Before heading back, we always sit down at the Filipino restaurant tucked inside the store. It’s more than a meal, it’s a way to soothe the ache of homesickness, to feel connected to the Philippines even while standing in the Nevada desert.
Saturday, September 20, 2025
Hopias Over Jackpots
I've been to Las Vegas more times than I can count, it's just a four-hour drive from Phoenix, close enough for a quick escape but far enough to feel like a different world. I don’t go for the gambling; that’s never been my thing. I’d rather wander through the grand hotels, admiring their extravagant designs and unique features. The Bellagio, where this photo was taken, always leaves an impression.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Carrying More Than Jackets
One of our family trips to Southern California greeted us with a chilly ocean wind. We had expected the cold weather, so everyone came prepa...
-
As I stand at the marina in San Diego, watching the boats sway gently in the water, I find myself reflecting on the journey of my life, fr...
-
I stumbled across a familiar street view on Google the other day, and it instantly pulled me back to my commuting days in Manila. Getting to...
-
In San Diego, I sat quietly on a map of the Philippines etched into the ground, a moment that stirred memories and emotions I didn’t expect....
No comments:
Post a Comment