Labels

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Manila Moments That Still Follow Me

During one of my visits to Manila, I was walking along Roxas Boulevard when I saw the statue of Dolphy. Right away, I remembered that the very first movie I ever watched as a child was one of his films at Paco Cinema with my uncle, aunties, and my sister. The theater was freezing (my first airconditioned place experience), packed with people, and as a small kid I had to squeeze into a tiny spot just to see the screen. When we stepped outside afterward, the Manila heat hit me so hard it felt like waking up from a memory.

Paco wasn’t a place we went every day, but it was a place that shaped so much of my childhood, vendors calling out, jeepneys rumbling by, tricycles weaving through crowds. It was loud, chaotic, and full of life, a complete contrast to where I live now in America, where everything feels quieter and more orderly. Yet every time I pass by Paco, my mind travels back to those childhood days. It’s where my mother bought my school shoes and uniform, where we shopped for our sari-sari store, and where my father drove his jeepney route.

Those memories remind me of who I was, where I came from, and how far life has taken me

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Taste That Followed Us

When we first came to America, the biggest shock wasn’t the weather or the language, it was the food. We arrived at night, went straight to ...