Labels

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Statue I Grew Up Passing By


Every time I visit Manila, I almost always find myself wandering back into Rizal Park. Growing up, this place was part of my daily life, close to home, close to school, and close to so many memories. I passed by it for five straight years in college, never realizing how much of my own story was quietly tied to these grounds.

Most visitors enjoy the open spaces and the breeze, but many walk past the park’s historical gems without noticing. Behind me is one of them, La Madre Filipina.

Created in 1911 by sculptor Ramon Martinez, this statue once stood proudly on the Jones Bridge. After the war damaged the bridge, it was moved here to Rizal Park, where it stayed for decades, almost hidden in plain sight. In 2019, during the bridge’s restoration, La Madre Filipina was finally returned to its original home, now standing 20 feet high on its base.

Its journey reminds me of something simple, when something meaningful stands right in front of you, take the moment. Look closer. Appreciate it. Some stories only reveal themselves when you pause long enough to notice

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colors I Miss, The Colors I Make

Life has a way of being spontaneous. You see something simple, and suddenly a spark lights up an idea, a memory, a feeling. Sometimes you’re...