Labels

Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Detour That Showed Me History


There are moments in life when things happen beyond our control, and all we can do is adjust. During one of my visits to Manila, my flight home was delayed. By the time we landed in Hawaii for my layover, the plane to Phoenix had already left. Some passengers were upset, but I had already prepared myself for the possibility. The airline gave us hotel rooms for the night and vouchers for dinner. The food was great, the room was comfortable, but my mind was already thinking about the next day.

My flight wasn’t until the afternoon, so I had plenty of time. After enjoying my free breakfast, I decided not to waste the morning. I hopped on a city bus and headed straight to Pearl Harbor. I walked through the historical sites, I felt the weight of history settle around me, the quiet bravery, the sacrifice, the stories carried by the wind. Then I saw the WWII cannon. A group of tourists were climbing on it, laughing, posing for photos. I waited patiently, letting the moment breathe. When it was finally free, I asked a fellow traveler (me, the accidental tourist) to take my picture.

Standing there, I realized it was one of those rare moments when a bad situation turns into something unexpectedly meaningful. A missed flight became a chance to explore history, to see something I never planned for, and to remind myself that sometimes life’s detours lead to the best memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Taste That Followed Us

When we first came to America, the biggest shock wasn’t the weather or the language, it was the food. We arrived at night, went straight to ...