Standing on that dock today, my brain did what it always does, it time‑traveled decades back to one of my earliest “Welcome to Arizona!” moments. We were new in the state, still figuring out why the air felt like a hair dryer set to high, when a new friend invited us to go boating at a nearby lake.
At the time, this was the farthest I had ever driven in Arizona, which, honestly, wasn’t even that far from Phoenix. But in my mind, it felt like an expedition worthy of National Geographic. And of course, I brought my brand‑new Sony Hi8 camcorder, the pride of my tech collection. I treated that thing like it was my firstborn child.
When it was my turn to hop on the boat, I stepped in like a movie star boarding a yacht, smooth, confident, ready for adventure. We sped around the lake, bouncing so hard I thought my internal organs were rearranging themselves. But I documented everything like a true filmmaker. Spielberg would’ve been proud.
But gravity did NOT respect me back.
I started going down like a sinking ship, but I held that camcorder high above my head like it was the Olympic torch. People probably thought I was performing some kind of ritual sacrifice to the lake gods.
By the time I regained my balance, I made sure the camera came up first, because priorities. But it was too late. The lake had claimed it. If I had thrown it onto the rocky shore, it might have survived. Instead, I baptized it.
No comments:
Post a Comment